Langsung ke konten utama

Parenting Lessons Learned From a Piece of Pink Cake

Yesterday was a definite eye opening day. It was the first day back from summer of a mother's group I attend at church. You could sense the excitement in the air of catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. Then it hit me, this would be the first year I would be attending without my oldest daughter. For five years, we had attended together. There would be no more chasing my daughter up the lobby stairs to catch her before she independently went to her classroom. There would be no more midday surprise lunches after my group, or meeting up with friends at the park afterwards. It had all been replaced with growing up and pre-kindergarten.

So I did what any other self respecting and grief stricken mother would do: I went and picked up my daughter early from school and took her out to lunch one final time! Sure, she missed some academics, but then it was only the letter M. And well, she already had a handle on that.

We went to one of our favorite restaurants. We laughed and chatted over lunch while her baby sister slept. It was great fun. While we were outside getting ready to leave, I noticed my daughter's face was pressed against the window of the restaurant. Curious, I asked her what was the target of her affection. With her face still plastered to the window, she gingerly said, "Well, I just wished we had gotten some of that pink cake. Pink is my favorite color, ya' know." I paused for a second and thought, "Why not?" We went in and got a piece of that "pink" (strawberry actually) cake, and brought it home to enjoy. My daughter was especially thrilled, since we hardly ever get dessert-because what small child needs more sugar!

Here are the three parenting lessons I learned from this baked good:

1. Time with our children rapidly changes, and will soon be gone.

Parenting consists of different challenges from infants and toddlers to tweens and teens. Some days are more stressful than others. Yet, each day that passes is one less that we have to spend with our children. How have we chosen to fill it?

2. Sometimes memories are just more important

When my job as a parent is done, the only thing I will have is the memories. My sister once told me that memories do not just happen. You have to be intentional about making them. What kind of memories will my children have of growing up?

3. What does it matter?

At the end of the day, what did it matter that my daughter had a piece of cake? Now I am not suggesting that you discard all discipline and routine, but we need to prioritize the right issues to go to task with our children. Am I creating unnecessary battles?

Sometimes it is hard to see the end of the race of parenting. But, there definitely is a finish line. How are you running the race?

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Adventures In Motherhood: The Potty Training Experience

Imagine it, No stinky diapers lounging in the trash. No wiggling child desperate to escape, whether cleaned or not. No weekly expense at the check out for diapers, wipes, ointments, etc. But then, reality sets in. How does one get to this pot of gold at the end of the potty training rainbow? The answer is as different as each child. First, you must make sure your child is even ready for this step. Regardless of what Great Grandma Grace says about training Uncle Archie at twelve months, almost every child-rearing book I have ever read says: don't even try until twenty-two months, as their bladders aren't mature enough to accomplish this difficult task. Then, there are some little signs that tell you that you are getting close. For example: staying dry for a couple of hours and/or waking from a nap dry, they want to start wearing underwear, they can understand 2-3 step directions, they have the verbal skills to tell you when they need to go, and the physical skill of pulling the

Pregnancy and Motherhood - 10 Things You Will Learn as a Mom of a Boy

If you are pregnant, are you concerned that you are not going to know what to do with a boy? The good news is that you will learn these things along with him and you will become interested in whatever excites him. Read on to discover 10 things that you will learn as the mother of a boy. 1. You will learn the difference between a bulldozer and a backhoe Before I had a son, I did not know the difference between any construction vehicles. To me, they were all bulldozers. Now I can identify bulldozers, backhoes, road graders, front loaders and more. 2. You will learn to explain why you do not potty standing up. Regardless of the number of times that I have explained the anatomical differences between boys and girls, my three-year-old son still does not understand why I do not stand up to go potty. He encourages me just to try it. 3. You will know all the characters from Thomas the Tank Engine Thomas the Tank Engine seems to have a universal appeal for children, especially boys. I did not e

Are They Really Ruining America? A Look a Single Mom Motherhood

Recently, there was a headline that hit the Associated Press and it was plastered all over the Online Media Outlets; "Are Single Mom's Ruining America?" The statistics are quite stunning over the last few decades, as nearly 70% of children are born out of wedlock. The teenage mom birthrates are alarming as well. These situations are hard on government services and they increase costs, thus it is reflected in the public taxes. Those who argue that single moms are ruining America have some good data to back them up and juvenile delinquency is also way up, which they say is a factor of single motherhood. What can be done, should we blame the single moms or should we blame fathers who disappear? The statistics seem to indicate that if you are going to blame someone, you would need to blame both the deadbeat dads and the moms as well. Some women just do not want the father around, as they do not want to have two children to look after. Some cannot fathom a father helping to cr